Sunday, July 18, 2010

Are Europeans Superstitious too ?

Indians are superstitious ...you might believe this and might have got to heard this from your European or American friends as well .Even I do agree that yes some people in India are still superstitious ,but I had an opinion that its more to do with the poor and illiterate people .

But let me tell you superstition is an global phenomena , be it in other parts of Asia ,Africa ,America or Europe .Everyone have their set of superstitions .
I personally has an view that Europeans might not be in the grabs of so called superstitions but I was proved wrong .I will share some of the instances which I witnessed myself.

Let me share some recent instances. I got an chance to travel to Monteux ,Switzerland some weeks back and got an chance to interact with lots of European colleges from my company as part of some business completion .
And to my shock the first evening itself on the dinner table I witness lots of it, to start with I was been told “You are lucky and will meet someone special if wine bottle finishes while filling up your glass ” that was just the start .We started with plain wine and it was followed by Swiss dish named Fondue(pieces of Bread with hot and melted cheese ) and in just another 20-30 minutes came the another one ,when I was not able to hold the bread dipped in cheese with the fork and the bread fell in hot and yummy cheese and I was warned by an English friend that’s not good as it brings bad luck .I was shocked on hearing this but I used this as an opportunity to have more cheese along with the bread.That evening I had series of such bad luck as I repeated this 4-5 times ,but to be frank it was not intentional.

Been in Monteux I got an chance to visit a castle over there named castle of chillon and the guide over there shared some interesting superstitions from Medieval Europe. For instance she showed us an grand bed from that age but it was quite short in size and this made me curious, so I asked her why is it so ? and the answer was the users of it used to be afraid that sleeping with legs well spread doest leave any difference between live and dead and that left me wondering how people with power and money were not even able to have sound sleeps, I really felt petty for them.

There were few more such instances been reported by her just to break my belief that European are not superstitious. It also made me think that superstition is not just restricted to poor, uneducated people or certain part of world and its root are too strong to be uprooted easily. It also makes me think, opinions made are usually not true.

No comments: